Part-Time Outdoor Work in Richmond, VA
Certification Training (Mandatory): Our next training will be held from Monday, August 5th, 2019 through Friday, August 9th, 2019. Interested? Read on, and fill out an application below. Must be available for our next Experience Day, to be held in person, on Friday, July 26, 2019! We will take each applicant through a Challenge Discovery Experience Day, which will be used for you to get to know us, and for us to get to know you!
Are you looking for a seasonal part-time job that lets you spend time outdoors, develop your leadership abilities and make an enormous difference in people’s lives? Then we’re looking for you. Challenge Discovery offers both part-time jobs and internships in Richmond, VA.
Work as a Challenge Discovery Facilitator
You bring the energy, enthusiasm, creativity and an adventurous spirit. We’ll teach you how to unite diverse groups, inspire young people and become a leader.
Challenge Discovery is hiring part-time facilitators that will work throughout the Richmond area and beyond, spring through fall. We lead mobile programs and programs at the ropes course at the University of Richmond. Our facilitators lead small teams of participants through challenging team building initiatives. We work in an outdoor setting with a diverse group of clients, including middle schools, high schools, colleges & universities and other community groups.
What we’re looking for:
- Flexible schedules: Our facilitators work whenever we have programs scheduled. Applicants must be available on weekdays during the school day.
- Willingness to learn: We provide 40 hours of hands-on training and on-the job training working alongside seasoned facilitators. In addition to that, our facilitators are constantly learning and growing and participating in professional development opportunities at our team meetings.
- Passion for our mission: Our facilitators believe in what we do. We engage people in powerful and fun experience-based learning activities as a catalyst for building relationships, improving self-esteem and supporting their peers.
- Stamina and commitment: The work we do is hard. But at the end of each day, no matter how hot, tired, or exhausted you are, we hope you will be energized, satisfied, and gratified.
- Minimum age: 24
- Must be available for our in-person Experience Day on Friday, July 26th, 2019.
- Successful completion of 40 hours of new-hire training, including an initial four-five day training session. To be held on: Monday August 5th, 2019 through Friday August 9th, 2019.
- Must have current First Aid and CPR/AED certification (can be completed upon hire)
- Weekday availability
- Must be comfortable working at heights up to 50 ft.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 75 lbs.
- Pay rate starting at $10 per hour
Work as a Challenge Discovery Intern
Challenge Discovery offers paid spring, summer and fall internships for college students. While interns’ exact responsibilities vary by season, our internships offer hands-on experience in three main areas:
- Leadership and education: Assist with program delivery, working closely with trained facilitators to lead groups through team building programs, and help maintain our Odyssey course (see job description above).
- Sales and marketing: Assist with sales, marketing, event planning and social media, helping us reach our core audience of students from elementary school through college, youth groups, youth sports teams, scouting groups and community groups, among others.
- Administration and operations: Help manage our back-end operations, including scheduling and staffing, and get a glimpse of what it takes to successfully run a fast-paced small business.
All Challenge Discovery internships can be customized to meet the specific requirements of your school’s curriculum. Our internships are relevant to majors such as Outdoor Recreation, Leadership Studies, Parks and Recreation Management, Sport Management, Marketing/Advertising, Business Administration, Public Relations, Communications, Psychology, Social Work/Sociology, Graphic Arts/Design and Liberal Arts.