Part-Time Outdoor Work in Richmond, VA
Certification Training: Our next training will be the early spring of 2018. Stay tuned!
Are you looking for a seasonal part-time job that lets you spend time outdoors, develop your leadership abilities and make an enormous difference in people’s lives? Then we’re looking for you. Challenge Discovery offers both part-time jobs and paid internships in Richmond, VA.
Work as a Challenge Discovery Facilitator
You bring energy, enthusiasm, creativity and an adventurous spirit. We’ll teach you how to unite diverse groups, inspire young people and become a leader.
Challenge Discovery is hiring part-time facilitators at our location at the University of Richmond, spring through fall. Our facilitators lead teams of 8-15 participants through challenging team building initiatives. We work in an outdoor setting with a diverse group of clients, including middle schools, high schools, colleges & universities and other community groups.
What we’re looking for:
- Flexible schedules: Our facilitators work whenever we have programs scheduled. Applicants must be available on weekdays during the school day.
- Willingness to learn: We provide 40 hours of hands-on training and on-the job training working alongside seasoned facilitators.
- Passion for our mission: Our facilitators believe in what we do. We engage people in powerful and fun experience-based learning activities as a catalyst for building relationships, improving self-esteem and supporting their peers.
- Stamina and commitment: The work we do is hard. But at the end of each day, no matter how hot, tired, or exhausted you are, we hope you will be energized, satisfied, and gratified.
- Minimum age: 21
- Successful completion of 40 hours of new-hire training, including an initial four-day training session.
- Must have current First Aid and CPR/AED certification
- Weekday availability
- Must be comfortable working at heights up to 50 ft.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 75 lbs.
- Pay rate starting at $10 per hour
Work as a Challenge Discovery Intern
Challenge Discovery offers paid spring, summer and fall internships for college students. While interns’ exact responsibilities vary by season, our internships offer hands-on experience in three main areas:
- Leadership and education: Assist with program delivery, working closely with trained facilitators to lead groups through team building programs, and help maintain our Odyssey course (see job description above).
- Sales and marketing: Assist with sales, marketing, event planning and social media, helping us reach our core audience of students from elementary school through college, youth groups, youth sports teams, scouting groups and community groups, among others.
- Administration and operations: Help manage our back-end operations, including scheduling and staffing, and get a glimpse of what it takes to successfully run a fast-paced small business.
All Challenge Discovery internships can be customized to meet the specific requirements of your school’s curriculum. Our internships are relevant to majors such as Outdoor Recreation, Leadership Studies, Parks and Recreation Management, Sport Management, Marketing/Advertising, Business Administration, Public Relations, Communications, Psychology, Social Work/Sociology, Graphic Arts/Design and Liberal Arts.